Thursday, September 11, 2008

Babies R Definitely NOT Us

One of the teachers from my school had had a baby, and another teacher was expecting. I volunteered to collect money from all of the other teachers to buy baby gifts (I know, that was my first mistake.) But the last time we did this, when two other teachers got married, it was easy- I just collected the money, ordered the gifts online from the gift registries, and had them shipped.)

But this time, I had to go to the store, because one of the teachers wanted a certain car seat, and for the one who is expecting we decided to get a gift certificate to "Babies R Us" (which, by the way, doesn't even come CLOSE to being grammatically correct. And besides that, it doesn't even make sense. I mean, THEY aren't babies- how could babies run a store?)

So, as for the car seat- I didn't know exactly which one the teacher wanted, and she hadn't been back at school since she just had the baby, but the principal said she would find out. But she is busy enough to be three separate people, so when I called her, she hadn't done it, but she promised to find out and then call me that afternoon so I could go out and buy the car seat.

Well, like I said, she is busy enough to be three people, so GUESS WHAT- she didn't call. At 8 PM I finally called her, and her husband said she wasn't home.

And we were supposed to give out the gifts at the teachers' luncheon the next day.

Rats.

But, I figured, I could still get the gift certificate for "Babies R US" for the other teacher. Earlier that afternoon I had called the store to see how late they were open, because it was Memorial Day (designated by Congress in 1993 to commemorate Exceptional Retail Sales) and I thought they might have different hours. They said they were open until 9:00. That was good, because it was a beautiful day and I was planting flowers and I really didn't want to go into a store while it was so nice outside. So I thought I would go later, after dinner. So at 8:15, I went to "Babies R US", and GUESS WHAT?

It was closed.

Did I ever mention that I HATE SHOPPING?

No comments: