Saturday, January 10, 2009

Customer Service

When I shop at Jewel, I almost always use the self-checkout. I hate waiting in lines, and except for the clueless and technically challenged shoppers who always seem to be in front of me in line, and cannot figure out for the life of them how to scan their first item--and except for the endless-loop malfunctions: "Please place item in bagging area," followed by, "Unexpected item in bagging area. Please remove item before continuing" -- it's usually faster, or at least it feels faster, which is just as good.

Last Friday, I stopped at Jewel on my way home from work, and since it was only two hours before Shabbos, I was in a hurry. I grabbed my receipt and my groceries and dashed out to the car, only realizing a few minutes later that I had left my gloves sitting next to the self-checkout. As I went back into the store to get the gloves, it occurred to me that it would be helpful to many shoppers if, in addition to the self-check computerized voice saying "Please take your change," "Please take your receipt," and "Please take your items," it would be really helpful if the voice would continue, "Please take your gloves."

I'd like to suggest a few other helpful phrases:
"Please take your wallet."
"Please pick up the pen you dropped on the floor when you opened your purse to take out your wallet."
"Please pick up that used tissue that fell out of your pocket."
"Please take any and all small children you broughtwith you into the store."

Now that would be customer service!

No comments: